Monday, February 2, 2009

Petanque Results & Harry's Boo-Boo.

Results of the Au Naturel Games Petanque Tournament.

Gold Medal: Team #10
Adele 31, Tom 412, Duane 310, Dave Cawthon-Natures

Silver: Team #4
Bob 36, Ross 511, Roger Cloutier-Natures, Richard Lewis -Natures

Bronze: Team #7
Jacques 314, Rosaire 429, Bill 605, Richard Stone-Natures
******
After you read Harry's tale of woe, why don't you, in the comment section, indicate your favorite song so he will play it at the Valentine's Day Dance.
Your song.
The song that makes your toes curl.
I want to see that, out on the dance floor.
Meanwhile, here's Harry....
Once again, I feel compelled to warn you to put away all weapons of personal destruction and then with your beverage of choice, curl up under a warm blanket and read this tale of woe, destruction and now resurrection.

As a constant reader, you will remember that on December 4 of the year just past, ever the graceful acrobat that I am, I fell on the portable mobile home steps that we have been using by our fifth wheel and just as gracefully fell off them and with the full force of my mammoth body landed on my left shoulder.
With that ignominious beginning, let this tale truly begin.

Linda and I were heading to the resort community room when the preceding event occurred. Needless to say, we never made it.
Instead we stopped at our neighbors, Gene and Sheryl's home.
Sheryl, an RN, assessed my injury, immobilized my arm and trundled me
off to the hospital. Once in hospital, I was reassessed and sent to the cougher and hacker section of the dead zone, no Verizon guy in sight, known in professional parlance as the outside,
not to be taken literally, waiting room.
Having soon gathered enough germs to acquire a cold,
Linda requested a move to the inner waiting room. This was the room
of the non-functioning water cooler that was placed appropriately
by the water and soda vending machines. Of course, there was
no signage above the non-functioning water delivery device.

After a seemingly eternal waiting period I was rolled, in a wheel chair;
I know what mental image you had knowing my shape, into the inner sanctum.
Hey, I am in shape, round is a shape.

After a nominal period in limbo, I was transported to the Land of Ignorant Requests otherwise known as the x-ray suite. The technician placed me at a table and then asked me to place the afflicted limb in every conceivable painful position that it would not go into. Repeatedly.

I was then wheeled back to my place in the medical assembly line known as the ER. When next a medical professional appeared, he wanted more x-rays. I clicked my ruby slippers and went back to the Land of Nod, it was quite late by now, to another minion of agony.
This one wanted me to lower my pants after I had climbed onto his refrigerated table of torture with only one hand at my command.
Of course, no help was offered.
Once again requests to contort my damaged body into painful positions.
Back in my treatment cell, I was told that nothing was broken. It was suggested that I go see my personal physician for further treatment.
I took my prescriptions, I had earned them, and left.

Go refill your drink and get a snack for the next section.

I saved myself an office call and just went direct to my orthopedist. More x-rays were taken and an MRI was indicated to confirm the amount of damage. It was the rotator cuff.
Therapy was started and eventually a surgical date was set.
This past Wednesday, I had the surgery.

Most of you know Chris of Chris and Willie.
If you recall, she broke her right arm about the time I tore mine.
Lo and behold, she had to have her frozen shoulder
manipulated at the same hospital, on the same day,
at about the same time as my surgery.
Ooooh, what an eerie coincidence.

Linda had a sale until noon, so I drove Chris and Willie in their van,
due to his night vision problems, to our procedures.
We went back to the family waiting room at the same time. I was called back fairly quickly and Chris, I found out later, had to wait until noon.

So, what you have been waiting so patiently for has finally arrived. A beverage refill? Snack? Lord knows you deserve one for having waited so long. Pillow need fluffing? Nap?

My surgery lasted three hours plus.
Time to get out the power tools, step ladder, floodlight, and extension cords
and get to work. Once the gift package was opened, the entire rotator
cuff was revealed to have slipped off its shoulder mount
and slipped down over the bicep. The doctor's PA (physician's assistant)
had to go back to the office to take care of a couple of patients and
I was still on the table when he returned.

So, there you are, basically up to date. I cannot use my left arm at all for at least four weeks.
I will be in therapy a long time.

Let me know if you were able to read it all in one sitting or not.
I share with you because you are my friends,
Please, do not send any cards, cash will be fine.

11 comments:

SueZ said...

Poor Harry!
Our song is "Love is a Many Splendid Thing". Corny, but true story...In my parent's living room, late at night, as Jim was down on one knee to propose, that song came on the softly playing radio. Ahhhh, romance!

Anonymous said...

"...Splendored Thing" ;-)

For Valentine's Day tunes, most anything to SLOW dance to. (For a change...)

SueZ said...

Can't remember the last time I actually said "Splendored". Now "Splendid" I will make a point of saying from now on...besides, it's MY memory!

Anonymous said...

Harry, please play "Cry me a river"!

Anonymous said...

Memory, yes. But the song-title (in QUOTES) is Splendored. To wit:

Artist: The Four Aces
Title: Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing
Issue Date: 12/31/1955
Promotion Label: Decca

(from Billboard Magazine)

:-)

SueZ said...

How splendored of you to know this...

Anonymous said...

Anne Murray (Canadian eh!) "Can I Have this Dance"

Anonymous said...

You say "splendid," I say "splendored"--whatever! Looks like it worked.
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the input. I will check to see if I have them.

The comment about"... some slow songs for a change...", so, on thinking back, maybe I didn't play enough "belly rubbers," but in my defense, when I DJ., I feed off the audience. I try to play a balance of music that contains blocks of different genres of music, half a dozen country songs, some oldies, some slow, maybe a novelty number or two. Another thing to remember is that if you personally have a song you want to hear, just ask, I'll play it or a song by that artist.

I am so not going to go into that "splendored, splendid" argument.

So, some Canadian music, eh, can do, how about a song, eh?
Working to give you, my friends and neighbors, a great dance experience.

Harry the DJ

Pam said...

Dear Harry the DJ,

I think you play great songs!! (I've heard you're a sucker for flattery.)

Since Ian already requested "May I Have This Dance", Bob and I would like to hear Shania Twain's "It Takes Two" (and we're not even Canadian,eh?).

I'd also like to request some line dances so those of us from the Wed. classes can get more practice.

Thanks!
Pam

Pam said...

P.S. You really do play great music!