Friday, October 8, 2010

I Has a Bone to Pick Wiff You!

A timely message from Kathie, #106
******************
As you know I have 2 new puppies.
With the influx of everyone coming back for the winter, it is important to explain to folks that the best way to greet someone else's dog.

For my dogs I would prefer, no talk, no touch, no eye contact until I give permission. My dogs tend to be excited aggressive.
They love people and other dogs.
However, when you start talking, touching and looking at my dog in that state of mind, it is giving my dogs positive re-enforcement to that behavior.
I am trying to break them of that behavior.
I am working toward their behavior being calm submissive.
Having a balanced dog is the best goal for the dog.
The dogs want balance and need it.
Raising the balanced dog to live in this community is important.
Yes, I myself have been excited to meet the different dogs and have inappropriately spoke, touched or looked at the dog before the dog is calm.
I am raising my dog the Dog Whisperer way.
I am setting discipline, boundaries, and limitations for my dogs.
I am the "pack leader".

Here is an explanation from Cesar Milan's book, "How to Raise the Perfect Dog".

Socializing your dog to people should begin from the first moment you arrive at your home. All members of our family or community, need to understand how to greet the dogs and how to share calm-assertive energy. Dogs are not toys but living beings and in order to acclimate them to their environment people need to refrain from showering them with all the affection and excitement people feel. Dogs respond to energy. This community needs to practice no touch, no talk no eye contact. Instead, they should quietly allow the dogs to smell them, then let the primary caretaker give permission when the dog is calm. Dogs need to associate calmness not excitement.

People think: "Oh, she's so mean. We can't play with the dogs." People don't think about what is the best thing for the dog. That's why the shelters are packed. People create a dog that's out of control, then they don't want them anymore.
Coming on too strong to a timid or insecure dog can intimidate them, and such affronts, if repeated can create a dog that is either too shy or fearful or worse, fearfully aggressive. This can lead to a bite, and the tendency to blame the dog for being aggressive. On the other hand, an outgoing, active dog may tempt to play too vigorously, raising the dogs level of excitement to an intensity that may be hard to temper as the get older. It's all about prevention
.

Tips to greeting dogs: Turn all of your attention to the owner. No speaking, touching or eye contact to the dogs. Give the dog time to sniff and calm down. Allow the owner to signal when you can do the speaking, touching and looking at the dogs. If folks want to give a treat to your dog, make sure the get the owner's permission. Some dogs have sensitive stomachs and digestive issues. Some folks limit the amount of food their dogs receive to prevent obesity and further health issues. I am proud of my dogs. They are pretty well behaved, but, the bad behaviors can be learned quickly.

I feel with the beginning of the season, that it is important that these tips be shared so no one is offended by an owner trying to train their dog.
Thanks,
Kathie 106


The Dog Whisperer is on the National Geographic Channel

at 1pm M-F and 8 pm on Friday evenings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Suez!! thanks!!!
Kathie 106

Pam P. #122 said...

I love the Dog Whisperer! It's nice to hear that other people think he makes as much sense as I do. Kathie, good for you for giving us these tips and for being so conscientious in training your dogs to be good 4-legged Peeps!

David 120 said...

Yes, Pam, you DO make a lot of sense.

;-)

(Just kidding, just kidding...)

Ian 502 said...

And remember - there are those of us who do not like dogs, and who do not want to be sniffed, licked or otherwise bothered by them. So similarly please keep your dogs under control and allow them to aproach only those people who you know appreciate them.