Sunday, March 14, 2010

BYOW...Good But Cheap Wine!

On Sunday, March 21st, at 3pm, is another of Bob & Bernie's Wine Learning Experiences.
Bring Your Own Wine
Leave your cheap boxed wine at home where quantity is more important than quality.
Bring a wine that you like/love/or discovered during your travels that you would like others to experience.
So you love Franzia.
Too Bad!
Move on. Leave it in the cupboard.
I did a quick search on the net and found lots of good cheap wines...
these few are all well under $10.00.
I don't know if you can get them at H.E.B. or Feldman's.
All I know is you should be able to find a bottle of something pretty good for an affordable price.
Bring your find to the Comm Room on Sunday and sample some pretty good wines.
Oh, and leave your giant mugs at home...sample cups will be provided.
*******
These reviews are cut and pasted right from the wine articles.
I didn't get to try them.
Drat.
******
2007 Trader Moon Honey Moon Viognier
$4.99

When you open this wine, you smell currents at the first whiff. The “nose” is delightful.

This is the deal. Put the ham on the table, doesn’t matter, fresh ham with cloves, canned ham with pineapple or apricot glaze or a give yourself a break and put down a Honey Baked Ham or if you haven’t had enough of turkey, great it would go well with turkey, too!

Crack a bottle of this wine or two depending upon the number of guests and you have a winner.

Sweet potatoes, yes.
Asparagus, yes.
Creamed onions, ok, if you like them.
Green bean casserole, ok, if you must.

This wine will make you a hero! Very good!
***********

An under-the-radar value 2006 Veo Grande Cabernet Sauvignon
$7.00

Friends and family of mine stock this Chilean cab as their "house wine" because, at $7, they laud it as a steal. I shared a bottle among four of these folks, so bear in mind that this is a first-impression review, as I didn't drink my usual allotment.
It's a deep, rich red in color; if it were fabric, you'd yearn to touch it.
So far so good. There's much less depth, though, on the nose and palate.
I detected aromas of dusty young berries and perhaps a hint of cedar; however, my father works in a woodshop and told me I was way off-base.
The wine tastes like it smells -- like tart berries that need more time on the vine.
Before long, the wine's tannins and tartness began to mellow.
Ultimately, this wine earned my respect because it easily held its own against the $16 Zinfandel I drank afterward. It would pair well with unpretentious food. I'd say it's the consummate cheeseburger wine, and that's not an insult in the least.
*********

It can honestly go well with any meal - 2007 Mendoza Aqua de Piedra Malbec
$7.99

This wine is great with chicken, and excellent with beef as well.

This is a very simple, smooth red wine, and it does not leave a sharp aftertaste.

It can honestly go well with any meal, and has always been a crowd pleaser both times I have sampled the bottle.

When I first tried this wine with roasted chicken, it made my mouth water after taking a sip,
so it really compliments any meal well.

Hard to find at most liquor stores
***********

This is another sleeper, get it and drink it soon - 2006 Concannon Vineyard, Concannon Chardonnay
$7.00

Tastes good! This is another sleeper, get it and drink it soon as 2006 Chardonnay may move past its time soon. Right now it is pretty darn good for $7 a bottle. Another California winery founded before 1900, and evidence that the older CA wineries have bargain prices for good wines. Their cost of capital must be very good in relation to the new wineries who have substantial capital invested so must charge those high prices.

I recall visiting a winery lately and choking on the prices of their wines at over $30 a bottle. I asked them why their wines were $30+ and they said; ‘it is based on the number of cases we can produce.’ Okay; shouldn’t it be based on quality? Am I missing something?

Times are ah ~ getting pretty tough; I recommend they revisit that tactic and read the reviews at www.goodwinecheap.com.
This site is going to smart up the consumer.
High brow is out and good wine cheap is in.
********
So there you have it. A very small taste of good but cheap wines.
This site (one site among many) had 5 pages of recommendations for wines under $10.00.
So you CAN do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do get tired of my boxed wine getting insulted so I decided not to attend your snobbish event.

SueZ said...

American cheese is a tasty cheese, but you would not bring it to a cheese tasting. Just as boxed wine is wonderfull and certainly has it's place. So why not stretch your palate, so you can enjoy this snobish wine event!!
If I were there I would leave my wonderful boxed wine at home, and spring for something SLIGHTLY more expensive. Fortunatly, I am guzzling boxed wine...or actually two buck chuck, now.
JIM #38