Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Zoo Do!

On Thursday a bunch of us caravaned
to The Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville for a behind-the-scenes tour.
What a special treat!
We had a trolley ride for a quick overview, then a walking tour behind the scenes.
Thanks to Donna L. and Pam P. (and me, too) we have some great pictures to share...While Pam got some great group photos Donna captured some wonderful animal pictures...
We fed the Galapagos Tortoises stalks of kale.
No one lost even a fingernail...but the guide watched us closely to make sure we behaved.All that kale has to go somewhere....
Zoo's are all about food and poo...Compost just waiting to happen!
*
Here are a bunch of kangaroos in their winter home.Our guide was the snake keeper and VERY fond of her charges...
Jim did a gorilla impersonation that was so chillingly real it gave me goosebumps.
Maybe more like Laurel & Hardy!
********
Don't forget the Feb. FunBuzz Monday afternoon at 4, in the pavilion.
Lots of info on the Olympics, plus sign-up sheets....Door prizes, blog comment prize, info on dinner tickets...beginning of the dog/cat contest, lot's of upcoming events to learn about.
Last chance to sign up for the Owl Pizza Party.
Get your name in the box for the Sweetheart Dinner.
Jeesh...tons of stuff.
Attend!
****
Oh, by the way.
After the Zoo we stopped for lunch at The Longhorn Cattle Company Steak House and ate cups & cups of their delicious bean soup. Anyone have insight on the recipe, 'cause they wouldn't share, and I swear...it was just about the best I've ever had!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This zoo tour was fantastic. I hope it will be an annual event. Thanks to Tom and Louise and all who made it possible. I saw three giraffes chasing each other round and round their enclosure--playing? fighting? Don't know but very entertaining.
Patsy #108

Pam P. #122 said...

The pics of the loving lions and kissing monkeys (or baboons or chimps or whatever they were) remind us that Valentine's Day is just around the corner!

Pam P. #122 said...

Just a small editorial comment:
the loving animals I mentioned in my previous post were snapped by Donna, the lowland gorilla, giraffe, and flamingoes by me.

SueZ said...

Pam, Thanks...sometimes I forget who snapped which pic. You did a fantastic job, as did Donna. When I get tons of pictures, as I did with the zoo do, it's fun to be able to pick and choose. I feel like I have my own photograpers!