Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Communication.....

This is probably going to seem like "preaching to the choir"!
How do you get the info on what's happening at Sandpipers Resort?
Are you a daily blog checker?
Do you read the white board in front of the pavilion?
How about the bulletin board inside...check the posters?
Has Happy Hour become your conduit to the social scene...
or are you clueless as to what your choices are?
**
I see pros and cons to all the above..
*
Blog:
Pro-up to date info on what, where, how much, etc.
Con-Not everybody has a computer, or if they do,
they don't yet have the daily habit of checking the blog.
*
Outside Pavilion White Board:
Pro-Up to date info, last minute reminders.
Con-Hard, no, impossible to read from car or cart or bicycle.
*
Inside Pavilion Bulletin & White Board:
Pro-Calender at a glance, posters with info. Sign-up sheets right there!
Con-You have to make a special effort to enter and read. Well, duh!
*
Happy Hour:
Pros-Info & News with libation of choice.
Good way to stay in touch with neighbors & friends.
Cons-Weather!
*****
So...short of closed circuit TV with schedules and calenders beamed into your living room,
how do you think we can/should get the word out?
There are still people who don't know about the blog,
who wail about missed events,
who miss things I know they would enjoy.
I don't think going door to door is the answer, but what is?
Loud speaker mounted on a golf cart?
Anybody have any ideas?
*
And remember...each and every blog comment gets an entry
into the monthly contest at the next FunBuzz.
This time around the prize will be something different.
So make a comment.
Scroll down...see the word comment?
Click on it.
Don't click on the little envelope-that sends me an email.
See the empty box?
Type in your comment.
Then pick from the menu how you want to be displayed.
You can pick anonymous but then how will you win a prize?
This isn't hard, and I promise, Big Brother won't track you down!

8 comments:

SueZ said...

From Harry....
Sue, faithful reader of the blog almost every day. Not to worry about this not being on the comment section, can't usually make the fun buzz anyway. I have posted before, but I went ahead and got that password thing and promptly forgot the password, so I'll pass my suggestion on how to get the info out right here.

Your blog is good for those who have a computer, are on the blog, and check it with any regularity.

The white board is an idea, but you are right, you can't read the silly thing.

Ah, the calendar board, can't read that from the street either.

The happy hour is a conduit, but many of us don't drink and don't want to be around it, so that is limiting.

What to do? Well, I know it is old fashioned and I know it will take some work and cost a little, but the newsletters we used to get at our sites sure helped because then no one had an excuse as to why they missed something.

There you have it, do with it what you will, but you did ask.

Anonymous said...

Comment to Harry: I agree with you about the pros and cons of all the suggestions, but I don't remember there ever being a newsletter delivered to our sites. Must have been before our time down here. Was it a daily publication or what? Who is going to deliver it? What if something changes right after the newsletter is delivered and we need immediate info. P.S. What do you mean "on the blog"? Anyone can read the blog. Sandpipers could supply computers to those who don't have one--and lessons on how to use it. (just kidding!)
Just some thoughts.
Patsy 108

Ian 502 said...

There are so many different ways of finding out what is going on around here! Perhaps if those people who don't know what is going on would make a small EFFORT they would be up to date. I don't think we should be deliveing information to each site - the status quo is just fine for those who want to know what is going on!!!

Pam #122 said...

My favorite way to keep track of happenings is the printed monthly calendar. I admit it doesn't help with updates that occur after it's published, but the other sources you mentioned (blog, white board, pavilion calendar for me) give me the updates I then write on my printed calendar.

I'm with Ian that there are already lots of resources for anyone who wants to know what is happening. It doesn't even require that much effort to tap into one or more of them. This blog post has highlighted those resources and, hopefully, will help folks who've been uninformed become more aware of how they can keep up with the busy schedule here at Sandpipers.

Sue said...

I'm a regular fan of this blog. I have so many activities going on outside the park that this is my link to the neighborhood. I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time - I can even check it at midnight and get the information.
Practically everyone in the park has a computer and for those who don't, there are two available in the library for your use. I'm sure any number of people would be glad to help those who aren't familiar with the blog get started.

Donna, #16 said...

I like the white board, because it is a reminder for today and tomorrow. It CAN be read from the bicycle! I agree with Ian that anyone who makes a small effort can easily find out what is happening.

Anonymous said...

I just picked up on the need for a volunteer for the zoo trip while in Denver - I read the BLOG! I arranged the trip with the zoo and asked Jon to create a sign-up sheet. After returning to the park about 6:00 p.m. Monday, I picked up the sign up sheet after hitting the hot tub. This morning I finalized the reservations and paid our deposit. I cite this example to illustrate the dynamic nature of the activities program.

I'm a big fan of the BLOG. The other methods of communication are less accessible, you have to go to them. With the park WiFi and a computer, I have the BLOG on my lap when and where I want it.

For those without a computer there are the computers in the library that Sue 336 mentioned. There are also the white boards and for those who don't read there is the verbal presentation at happy hour! The monthly calendar is useful and handy hanging there on the refrigerator but too static to take care of the changes which will occur. I think that pretty much covers it. It does seem to be a lot but this is a very dynamic park.

The only question then is what sources of information contain complete information and which contain only partial or static information. If any source has information on some activities but not all, then it requires using multiple sources of information. If that is true of all the sources, then it means we have to check all sources to find the tiny nugget of truth we are seeking.

I appreciate all the work that you, Jon and Donna do to get the word out to all of us.

The only addition I would suggest would be to ask Sarah 428 to do some sky writing if we could get this infernal wind to stop. Or maybe she would rather do a banner tow like they do on South Padre!!!

Tom 308

John 5 said...

The newsletter is emailed to about 80 addresses and contains the same information as Jon's calendar that is passed out at the Fun Buzz.

If something interests a person they should be clever enough to follow up on that event.

Pro - it is delivered to anyone who wants it via computer.

Con - does not help those who don't have a computer but a copy is availabale at the office.