Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's Christmas, Clean Out Your Pantry!

I stopped by Elsie's (#114) this morning to drop off a few cans and other foods from my pantry, things I haven't used and probably won't,
and definitely won't miss.
She is collecting food for Sandpiper's annual Christmas Adopt-a-Family event. This year we've adopted five families, all with young children and all needing a little extra help.
Something you may not be aware of ... Christmas holidays means the kids will be home from school for as much as three weeks. Three weeks to feed them breakfast and lunch which they used to eat at school. Three weeks of snacks. Multiply the meals times the kids, add in an income with no wiggle room.
Yes, they could use a little extra help.
Check your cupboards. An extra can of soup, an extra box of cereal. Will you really miss it?


Or maybe pick up a few extra staples at the grocery store. I know I mean to, but I forget...but time is getting short. That's why I went shopping in my pantry.
On Wednesday, Dec. 17th Elsie's committee will be organizing the food stuffs for the five families. If you can, drop off your donated food at her house, #114. Of course a cash donation is welcome as well. They will be buying fresh fruit, veggies and meat.
A suggestion...Elsie has plenty of peanut butter and plenty of masa (flour to make tortillas)already donated, but everything else is needed. You might try to pick up traditional foods, like beans, tomatoes, spices, perhaps. But truly, anything, everything is needed.
Remember, let's feed the kids.
Some suggestions:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is excellent!!

Anonymous said...

Last week I did shopping in my pantry and gave Elsie all the new things I had been meaning to try (all Tex-Mex type food) and hadn't gotten around to. Remember - kids have HUGE appetites. So now I'll go shopping for staples for them.