Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Urban Bike Ride

Tuesday we biked down the McAllen Bike Trail, a delightful little jaunt passing beautiful flowering shrubs and gorgeous homes.
This is our little group.
Lanny is promising no alligators, no butterflies, no snakes...no promises means I will not besmirch his reputation. We'll see.
John P. joined us for his first bike ride...ever. Well, with us anyway.

We parked in the lot at the corner of Col. Rowe and Trenton, where I spied one of my favorite butterfly attracting trees. Lime prickly ash, known in Mexico as Colima.
Correction from those who know!
It is Retama, or Palo Verde!
Look at the flowers! What butterfly could resist?
Then we pedaled down the undulating sidewalk, greeting dog walkers, joggers and other cyclists.
This ride was very different from the previous ones we've been on.
It was very urban, but interesting nonetheless.
After about 3 miles we had a pit stop.

Remember Lanny and his promises. He never said there would be mud.

Mud. Thick, stick to your tires, mud!
Here is Janet running her bike thru the grass, trying to wipe off the mud.I used a stick.

I think we were the only two that rode through the goo.
Everybody else apparently looked where they are going.
Novel concept.
After a short rest we turned around and pedaled back to our cars...Crossing a few streets......with few mishaps. Look out for that truck!

The ride back was just as lovely with flowering hedges and professional landscaping on all sides.THEN we got to have lunch!

Koko's is a find!
Terrific, really, really good, Mexican food.

Beautifully decorated restaurant.
It's on 10th street, north of Hillbillies, in a small strip mall.

YOU MUST GO!Look at that plate, will ya!

Les had a Sombrero. Rice, beans, and a stuffed-with-roasted-beef feast.This is Jim's Deluxe Mexican Plate, with John eyeing it hungrily.

What did I have? (And Janet, too)

Ceviche de camarones.

Excellent!Did I like it?Ahem!

5 comments:

lilizard62 said...

The "Colima" tree you identified is
"Retama" or "Palo Verde".
http://uvalde.tamu.edu/herbarium/paac.htm

Colima is a bush that grows "Cat Claw" thorns on it and it comes from the Citrus Family.

http://uvalde.tamu.edu/herbarium/acgr.htm

Follow the links. I know a little about some of the native trees around the area. I really enjoy learning about them.

lilizard62 said...

I am so jealous. I didn't make one Bike Ride This year. I need to leave my bike in someone's house so I can be "bike ready" and hitch a ride with someone.
I wish I had a pickup.

SueZ said...

You are so right. Retama it is. I just remember the lime prickly ash sign from Bentsen S.P. and it's not even the correct tree. But I like the name.

Bernie #36 said...

I agree with you about Koko's. We discovered it a couple of years' ago when they first opened in just one portion of what they have today. Great place to fill that empty tummy (especially after your ardious biking).

Ian 502 said...

Wish you would stop these pictures of people in shorts & shirt sleeves enjoying the sunny weather!!! It is 1 degree here at 8am this morning (that's 33 for you who are celcius challenged) - don't you all wish you lived in Canada eh??