Thursday, April 9, 2009

Charmed!

I hope you peeked out your windows last night.

Just at dusk there was a young family flying kites in our field. The young couple and their kids have been visiting here at Sandpiper's for several years. In fact many of us can remember when they were pregnant.
*
Don't you love the way it's now said?

THEY were pregnant.

I love that.

Wish "they" could equally share the weight gain, the hemorrhoids, the varicose veins, the...

Sorry. I digress.

Back to the kites.

It was a truly charming scene.

Emmerich and family.

He's gonna play water volleyball with us on Saturday.
I'm sure the rest of the family will be there to cheer him on.

******
******

Another thing that charmed me yesterday was the book club.

For whatever reason I had not attended one of these meetings.
What a tragic mistake.

It was the last one of this season.
I had read the book (thanks, Patsy, for the loan).
So I figured, why not.

What a fabulous time I had.
Wonderful, witty conversation.

Great food.

Cheesecake!

Wine!

A manicure!

No kidding...Catherine brought a basket of polish and invited us to help ourselves.

Everyone brought a delicious salad, each one a marvel. I hope they made the cookbook...hint...hint. It's not really too late. We are still adding a few recipes.
This is the salad I brought:

Asian Noodle Salad

It'll be in the Sandpiper Cookbook, which is going to the printer soon...
**
I will definitely be attending next season's book club meetings,
and encourage you to consider joining us.

You'll have a great lunch.

You'll laugh til you need Depends.

You'll get to know each other...and maybe read a good book, too.

Next season's books:
November:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle,

David Wroblewski

Hostess: Patsy

*

December:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society,

M. Shaffer & A. Barrows

Hostess: Mary

*

January:

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln,

Doris Kearns Goodwin

Hostess: Elsie

*

February:

Cane River,

Lalita Tademy

Hostess: Sandy

*

March:

The Nineteenth Wife,

David Ebershoff

Hostess: Gloria

*

April:

The Ghost Map,

Steven Johnson

Hostess: Louise

*

Note from Louise:

These books are available in the Sandpipers Community Room Library.

The book, The Memory Keepers Daughter, lost by just one vote in the selection and I would strongly recommend that book as a summer read.

Have a good summer and good reading!
Thanks Louise, I will!

1 comment:

toni #46 said...

Sue you added a lot to the group, thanks for coming. I'm a reader so this was a no brainer to join for me.....but it has been about so much more than books, it's a great time to get together and talk about everything that comes to mind, and I've never, ever been at a book club where the pristine state of my chair wasn't threatened by the laughter. This meeting, once a month, is a hoot. Thanks to everyone who comes, and especially to dear Louise who inspires and evokes deeper thinking about what we've read. She begins each meeting with a show of hands, who loved the book and who hated it. We cherish opinions other than our own. Several times someone has come to the meeting saying I didn't read the book, but after hearing the discussion, I will!