Monday, March 23, 2009

Terry & Tommy's Most Excellent Adventures!

Terry & Tommy sent this so we'd stop
complaining that it's getting hot!
****
I just wanted to share with all of you, our Sandpiper family, some of what has been going on with us since we left. It is hard to believe that we have been gone for 3 weeks today. Our trip home was uneventful except for me getting attacked by a Rottweiler at a campground just over the Oklahoma/ Texas line. Luckily I didn't need stitches, only a tetanus shot and his rabies vaccine was up to date. We arrived home to find a couple of inches of snow on the ground and of course, it was cold!!! Still it was good to get back home. Why did we come so early....?
View from out front porch. No water volleyball in sight!

The livestock looked as though they had wintered well and all was well. That was just until the next day when Tommy found two cows down. One was an old cow and the birthing event was just too much for her. She had a nice calf, but couldn't get up to feed it. Another one slipped on the ice and was unable to get up again. Long story short, Tommy ended up euthanizing them so they wouldn't suffer. Our wonderful son-in-law took the calf to his house to bottle feed.
Some of our new calves and the reason we are in the cold north!
mmmm....good!

We were lucky that the weather warmed up and the snow was gone within just a few days. Since that time we have been blessed with a couple warm days then a cool down, then warm again. We are so ready for it to warm up and stay there. I have nearly lost my tan. Bummer!
*
One of our replacement heifers had trouble calving and Tommy had to assist to get the calf out. He was a large bull calf and had a very difficult birth.
Mom getting held up so blood can circulate in her legs.

Afterwards neither the mom nor the baby were able to walk, but both have good appetites. The baby finally got up and is walking since Saturday morning. We borrowed a hoist of sorts that hooks to the cows hip bones and lifts her up on her feet by using a loader tractor.
Her front legs work well and she would get us if she could!

The bad thing is that mom is still mad about the difficult delivery.
Must be part elephant as she has a great memory. The baby calf has imprinted with Tommy. Thinks he is mom.

She tries to kill Tommy every time he goes to take care of her.
If she doesn't improve soon she may be our next beef.
No baby, your mom is over there.
I know it's there somewhere, but he never gets a hold.
***
We just wanted you all to know that we miss everyone and all the good times that are going on down there. We are looking forward to seeing everyone this fall/winter and anyone that wants to stop by on their way north. Our weather is improving and we are having a good time even with the bad luck we have had. Tommy told someone that things couldn't get worse. I sure hope not. Our son-in-law was quick to point out that nothing went wrong until after we got home. Hmmm.....maybe we should have stayed in Texas.

Terry & Tommy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should send up Koda and Asia to show how rotties are to act.You know how mean our's are.Missing you guy's here it's cold here also droped down to 85

Terry and Tommy said...

Koda and Asia sure had me spoiled. I wasn't a bit concerned by this dog(Chief) who was not on a leash, I actually hadn't hardly given him a second thought and he came running at me all the while growling, and then jumped on me. I think he was going for my throat, but got my arm as I put it up to block him. It really scared the jeepers out of me. I had never been afraid of dogs before, I was respectful of dogs that might bite. But now, I am very leary of all dogs. I am looking forward to seeing Koda and Asia again. Maybe they can help with my therapy. It is 57.2 here now and the thunder storm has passed. WE missed the brunt of the bad weather that passed through here.

Anonymous said...

Hey you should have stay longer and play volleyball, it's so much fun and now it's really getting nice and warm. We miss you guys.
maybe we willt ake a trip up there where you are and play with the cows, if they are not to big.
Sorry to hear about the attack dog.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typing, I know how to spell. HAHA

Terry and Tommy said...

We would love to see you. Come any time. The calves are really cute when they are young, then they grow up to be cows.