Sunday, August 10, 2008

Awesome Olympics!

I love watching the Olympics. The opening ceremonies, the parade of athletes. This year I noticed some 'grey hairs' among the marching contestants. Ping pong? Shooting? I guess I always thought the Olympics to be peopled by youngsters.
Mariana sent me a link to an Olympic event we CAN participate in.
Athletes at the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games in Idaho will be wrapped in a little handmade love, courtesy of knitters and crocheters across the country. Coats & Clark is sponsoring a project to provide each athlete with a scarf created in white and delft blue Red Heart® Super Saver® yarns.
to go to their site for instructions. This looks like a great project that even beginner knitters can participate in. Check it out!
Now, on to the great pictures!!
I hope you enjoyed the opening ceremony for the 2008 Olympics held in China. This was the most jaw-dropping performance I've ever seen! Costumes were out of this world!

The drumming gave me goose bumps.

The fabrics were scrumptious!

And how did they work these lights? There were lots of effects that just blew my mind.

These performers practised for most of a year to be able to do the moves.

Lots of religious symbolism that I didn't 'get' but impressed me anyway.

Children of migrant workers from outlying provinces look at themselves in the mirror as they use their hands to form the Olympic Rings after watching the TV live broadcast of the Olympic Games opening ceremony.




4 comments:

alan said...

This was the most outstanding presentation of an opening event that has ever occurred. And now we have the excitement of the games to keep us occupied for the next 2 weeks or so.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much for the pictures, Sue!

Anonymous said...

You are right, the performance was amazing, as was the discipline. Every once in a while the magnitude of that population, moving in unison as instructed, sent shivers down my back. And the strength of the beautiful Chinese women carrying flags in front of each delegation and smiling serenely? Wow!

PLT said...

It is truly amazing what a totalitarian government can inspire its population to accomplish.
PLT