Monday, September 8, 2008

We Don't Like Ike!


Ike, go away, turn around, disappear. I just heard from my daughter Liz and her family who live just outside New Orleans. They had evacuated with all personnel from his Houma based, oil spill clean-up company to Montgomery, Alabama. Her words, "The most boring place on Earth." Well, to give her some slack she was stuck in a hotel room in the downtown area with a kindergartener with one day of school under his belt who wanted to go back, and a 1 1/2 year old charmer who likes to ride the elevator to make friends.
They were able to return home by Friday to find their house intact, their yard a mess with tree branches and no electricity. Didn't get that back until Sunday night. Their weather is similar to ours. Drip, drip, gasp.
I have a really cool weather site with all kinds of tropical info on it. Everything from radar to projected computer models of what might yet occur.



I am not panicking...yet, tho Liz will not unpack the car. She's ready for flight.
I'm not real happy with these projected model paths...it's still early, but not to early to think about what to do.
After Dolly all in the park decided that was about as high a risk as we would take in the future. A cat one...scary, but manageable, especially since we did not lose electricity. Will we be that lucky next time? I'm not real worried about destruction as we are far from the coast, but... I don't want to live here without my A.C. We'll probably go up to San Antonio if it looks like a direct hit here. Or maybe we should head for Indiana.
Brings me to my point...what to take. Oh, I know you are supposed to take cash and your important papers, birth cert, marriage license, pictures from your wedding...maybe some food, water...have your car gassed up. What else is important that you can't replace?
I just spent three months babying 75 seedlings of my current gardening passion-adeniums. 75 little pots depending on me. I ordered seed from Taiwan, Planted them in special little peat pots. Labeled them, named them. Everyday I would make sure they had enough water, but not too much, enough sun, but not too much...snipped them, pruned them, fed them...they are my babies. As much as any little baby depending on me. I sure wouldn't want to leave them behind. And my pretty gold fish...yikes, can't pack them up either.
I don't wish Ike on anyone, but Ike, go somewhere else!




Here is another weather link from Earl & Margaret.
GOLDEN TRIANGLE WEATHER PAGE
http://www.ih2000.net/ira/bmt-wth.htm



2 comments:

alan said...

A fine looking family, Suez. I 'm sure that you are very proud of them.

Anonymous said...

We keep track using the National Hurrican Centre website (www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml) - right now it looks like Sandpiper's is in for the rinse cycle after Dolly's washing. Hope IKE changes course, and if not that everybody comes through it OK.