Monday, September 22, 2008

Know Your Neighbor! Jim #38

Intrepid Reporter: Jim, what do you do to relax? What are your hobbies?

Jim: I like woodworking, computers, golf, water volleyball and I used to do a lot of glass work.
IR: How did you get started on working with glass?

Jim: Several years ago I noticed my wife (that's me) selling jewelry made from glass beads she bought on Ebay. I had just retired and was looking for a new hobby. After a short learning curve we started up a small business selling beads on-line and thru Ebay to other jewelry makers. This was back when there weren't too many artisan bead makers so for awhile we were pretty successful. We stopped doing the on-line sales when competition increased, and gradually I became less interested in it.










IR: Do you think you'll ever return to glass bead making?
Jim: I still have the tools, and who knows...maybe the muse will strike again, someday.
IR: So what now?

Jim: Now I'm really into woodworking. All my life I worked behind a desk, so when I would go home at night I was looking for hobbies that involved working with my hands. I did a lot of handyman, do-it-yourself projects and became adept at plumbing, electrical work, even building my own computers. I stuffed my garage and basement with every tool. I've always loved working with wood...building useful things.
Tools.
More tools!

Coffee Table-Shaker style.

IR: What did you do this summer?

Jim: We stayed here this summer. I maintained the water volleyball equipment, replacing balls and nets as needed...also played a fair amount. Helped you with some of the park gardening, like replacing the fountain garden pump, and weeding. And I did several woodworking project around the house. I built a sink cabinet for the hall bathroom, designed and built a new kitchen island, built several bases for power tools in the shop, built a large wall clock...and I'm about to build you a new potting bench.

Kitchen island...love it!

Rocking Chair New hall sink cabinet. IR: So, what else?

Jim: I love, LOVE, playing Civilization on my computer...watching football...and going to Lowe's....that's pretty much it.

10 comments:

alan said...

Suez, is it your plan to do this type of reporting (a good idea) with others in the neighbourhood or to limit yourself to "very close" neighbours?

SueZ said...

Alan, I woke up this morning with NOTHING on my mind...zilch, nada. Wondering what in the world I could put on the blog...then inspiration struck! There is a never ending supply of characters here at Sandpiper's. I will profile anybody...everybody. Want to be next?

alan said...

Si tu veux, suez. If you wish, Suez. (we live in a bi-lingual country!) I think this blig has great potential for learning more about our neighbours - on a positive note of course (would hate to see the alternative!)

SueZ said...

I'm taking you up on your offer, Alan. I don't have your email, but I know you are an avid blog reader so I'm sure you will see this. Email me and we'll discuss your profile, pictures, etc.

This goes for everyone else too. If you would like to be on a "Know Your Neighbor" blog, let me know.

Anonymous said...

OK Sue let's go at it. Im one of your closest neighbor's.There are alot of sandpiper's around here that can attest of mainly Jim's silly thing's but I think there are some thing's that other's in this park can say about you.

#1. You have a wonderfull blog

#2. you have learned how to be a slim ball valleyball server

#3. You are the godess of the plant life around here.

Back to Jim????

does he like dressing up in woman clothing ALL THE TIME?????

SueZ said...

Tony, Tony,
neighbor most dear,
full of baloney,
full of good cheer.

Mowing of grass,
cleaning of pool,
Always busy,
not always a fool.

This guy is a monkey,
Mr.Slimey his name,
Tony act's funky,
Volleyball is his game.

Anonymous said...

Suez Suez pick on my name
pick on me you have no shame

You mess with the best
you loose like the rest
just like Jim as he is picking out his dress.

As a wonderfull neighbor I can't attest. Im still afraid of Jim's next dress.

As you call me the king of slime
I'll hit the ball to you the next time.

when Jim misses the ball and rembers.

remind him to count all his finger's

Helen McNamara said...

Looks almost like you will need to start a seperate blog just for this! Jim...you are a busy man!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim Jim my neighbor so near,
at one time you gave me some fear.

As we come up to halloween night,
for the new quest you are a fright.

We love you for the thing you do
just quit wereing than damn too too

On this sept 25th.with all I say
happy 49th birthday to sue this day

Anonymous said...

Gene Gene the end so near.
The sooner you leave we get some beer.