Saturday, February 22, 2014

Ahhhh, Poor Tom!

It is a difficult thing to watch a man go through withdrawal, but more on that later. 

Tom and I have been doing the, "photographer and his assistant" thing for a long time. 
 I know my job. 
Tom carries a minimum of two lenses, four memory cards and two camera batteries with him at all times. He also can mentally switch from a desire for wide-angle to close-up three times in 30 minutes.
 
  But it's all good.  We've got it down to a science. 
 
 He says he needs to switch lenses and I get the new lens out of its carrier on his belt, take off the guard at the back (always keeping it away from sun and weather); hand it to him as he takes off the old lens; we switch the two lenses, I screw on the guard, put on the lens cap; replace it in the carrier while he puts the new lens on the camera and starts shooting. 
 
 It takes less time to do than to describe. 
 Trust me, we are like those damn birds switching eggs on March of the Penguins--but with no tears.

The fact that there is no drama, however, does not mean that there aren't odd moments.  On the Franz Josef Glacier trail we had been walking for over 30 minutes in a heavy constant drizzle that frequently turned into real rain. We were in our rain gear and I like the rain, so, again, no problem.  At the glacier toe he wanted to switch lenses so I started the penguin dance when he paused and said,
 "find something dry on you and wipe down the lens before you put it away." 
I looked at him quizzically, just as he turned back to the glacier and said--in all seriousness--"sometimes you have to sacrifice your body for the optics!" 
 
 Our lens was wiped down with Victoria Secret lace. 

Now, back to my first sentence, you can imagine what this poor man went through when, on an all day trip to one lake, one power plant and Doubtful Sound and fjord, he discovered he had brought all his camera equipment--except the camera itself.  He was so upset that when a man walked by with a Nikon and long lens, I had to put my hand on his arm and say, "No."  He knew what I was talking about! 
Yes, he enjoyed the trip,
but I occasionally heard teeth grinding.
 Hugs to all.  We continue to enjoy life Down Under.      
 
Louise
 

No comments: