Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bob & Mardi Say Hi! With a Warning!

I want to forward this warning so others do not get blindsided!!

P.S. I really really miss water volleyball!!!

Bob
********
Fellow Sandpipers,

Beware the tax man!


A greeting from Florida, and it was hard to clear out to get here!!

When we left in May, we planned to rent our place for a season or two
before we returned.

But we got an offer we could not refuse so I came back to sell our mobile.
If you sell your home, you have to have paid the full years of taxes and all back taxes. So I went to the tax office and paid the 2010 taxes and then WHAM! The tax office said we owed taxes from 2007 and the name on the tax bill was two owners ago.
Well, I sucked it up and paid so I could close the sale.

When I got back, I checked the back tax statement with my old receipt from 2007 and they matched except for the final digit of the ID number.
There was either a clerical or computer error at the appraisal district.
I sent copies of my old receipt, had to wait until the appraisal district update in November, and then finally got my refund this week.

Just paying your annual tax bill will not discover the back taxes due, so I suggest everyone go to the tax office in person and check the status of their accounts.
They were nice people but the “system” made a mistake and it took six months to correct!!!

If anyone is in central Florida please stop by for a visit.
(email your plans to rlwelo@yahoo.com)
Florida is nice but we miss the fun people of Sandpipers and the “Spirit” of Texas.


Mardi & Bob

No comments: