Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just How Hot Is It?

While the sun is blistering everything in sight our
intrepid Sandpiper Construction Crew bravely struggles on. Garland & Bill, being up on ladders and thusly dressed for the occasion,
show off their hammering skills.Did I say "hammering?"
The noonday sun must have taken it's toll.Mayhem was narrowly averted.The cool, ahem, "head" of Gary brought peace to the construction site.Head Honcho.
*****
It was so hot today that I had an idea.
I bet I could cook an egg on the sidewalk.
If not on the sidewalk, how about in a cast iron skillet?I removed the egg from the fridge early in the day to warm up to room temp.
Then pre-heated the skillet in the sun for several hours.
When it reached 142 I couldn't wait anymore, so sprayed the pan with non-stick spray
and cracked in the egg.Temp dropped right away to the mid 130's.And stayed there....
After an hour and a half of not much happening I covered the pan with Saran Wrap...trying to make an oven, don'tcha know?
That did boost the temp....but after 2 hours plus, the sun started
to lower in the sky and I got bored. The finished product.
The yolk did cook along the edge of the temp probe.
And it's kinda hard to tell but the yolk did, hmmm, firm up a bit.
All in all, not a huge success.
Next time maybe I'll bake cookies in the car.

No comments: