Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday Bike Ride & A Poetry Challenge!

Another beautiful day for a bike ride. We again drove over to Mission to take advantage of their wonderful bike trail. The whole trail is asphalted and rolls thru secluded brush and along a canal.
As we started we were filmed by a gent with a video camera standing alongside a Bike Policeman. I think we are going to be used in a Mission Police web site...will keep my eyes open.


And yes, I again had mechanical problems.




This time the chain fell off. Local wisdom says my @?%$*!# is warped and I need a new bike.

I should always travel with my own pit crew.


About halfway down the 6 mile trail we stopped to watch the big earth movers work on the levee for the border wall. This is also where Jim and I turned around. While the rest finished the trail we hustled over to Academy to look at bikes.

Before leaving I took one more picture of the group as they trailed off into the blue, blue sky. Donna #221 continued taking pictures and got some gorgeous ones at the entrance to Bentsen State Park.

After checking bikes at Academy we met the group for lunch at Pepe's.

Yummy, as usual, and boyoboy, did that beer taste good!

We were hungry, thirsty, and happy to sit in the almost empty palapa, where there was a cool breeze blowing off the river.

Next week....Nov 11, South Padre Island. Meet at the SPI Convention Center at 10:30am. Ride will be down to the jetties and back viewing the beach side one way and the bay side the other. 15 miles round trip and all paved. Questions? See Lanny or Donna #16.

I understand the shopping is as big a draw as the ride.

I'm not going unless I GET A NEW BIKE, Jim!

++++++++
I just got an email from Bill #3 who offers up this limerick to Tony #40 and challenges the rest of us to follow.

"Hey Tony, have you tried penning a limerick? How 'bout this one?"
Bill


There once was a old man called the slimer
whom the volleyball game did primer.
He hits the ball with his fist
if we miss we are pissed.
Thanks for the games old timer.

So...I put on my thinking cap. It's not that easy doing a limerick. The rules are the 1st, 2nd and 5th lines have to rhyme and have 9 beats each. Dirty limericks are usually funnier that clean ones. And it's not easy to make sense.

To inspire me I remembered the news story we were talking about at Happy Hour recently: The story about the lady who tried to smuggle several pounds of her favorite chorizo sausage in her babies diapers, which she had wadded up on the floor of her car. Did she really think the sniffer dogs were gonna be fooled?

I am NOT including a photo even tho the newspaper did. Just picture a folded diaper with several coils of brown, glistening sausage...words are enough, don't you think. She paid a hefty fine, AND they took her sausage.

Anyway...here is my limerick. Not entirely happy with it, but maybe it will inspire some of you to respond.

There once was a man from Sandpipers,

We're glad he wears dresses not diapers.

Because that would mean,

Chorizo smelled but not seen,

Crossing borders has never been riper.

OK, Poets, go to it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a man first name slim
his wife says he wont spend a dime

his last name is know as bucket
I dont care all I can say is ****it

you mess with the best
you lose like the rest
I bet you think im from nantucket

we at sandpipers with all a smile
we drove that extra mile

to be in the sun for endless fun
we will think of the ones,that cannot come for a while.

Anonymous said...

Mary had a little lamb
the bucher killed it dead

now mary take's the lamb to school
between two hunks of bread

Anonymous said...

The group from Sandpipers was nude
while biking encountered a prude,
and while fixing the chain,
again and again,
On the group the prude's eyes were still glued!

Anonymous said...

A word from a wise little owl,
at the pool please sit on a towel,
if you don't you'll stick like some mastic,
your butt will be stuck to the plastic,
and when you try to stand up you will howl

OK, OK - I'll quit!!

Anonymous said...

mary had a little lamb
she tied it to a heater

now every time the lamb turns around,
it burns it's little p*eeter

Anonymous said...

We test all you poet's
to come up with the best rhyme's
it doesen't matter have a good time

To all of you that want to play
It's just for fun that's all I say

I know you will try to beat the best.
second place is at lease not last

so with this comment I say goodnight.
we look forward to the next fight

Anonymous said...

Sorry - you shouldn't have gotten me started!!

There is a young man named Obama,
I was sorry to hear of his Grandma,
Now he is elected,
McCain is dejected,
And George Bush is still hunting Osama!

Sue said...

There is a woman named Sue,
She tells us what, when and who.
She keeps us amused
and sometimes confused.
Without her what would we do?

SueZ - Thanks for keeping up this super blog.

Helen McNamara said...

There once was a couple from B.C.
Who circled the globe just to see,
They flew and took bus
They sailed without fuss
And are running out of places to be!

Anonymous said...

There once was a nice guy named Tony
Had a cute little wife, kinda bony

Said Tony one day
"Let's head for the hay!"

And Sherry instead fed her pony!


David211

alan said...

There is really a rumor
That Stevie has developed a tumor
This isn't very nice
Amongst all our ice
But we shall beat both with our HUMOR!!