Sunday, July 24, 2016

Louise & Tom turn Cowboys!

Well, I was premature on celebrating my graduation from physical therapy.  I am held over for another month!  A month of remedial PT...damn those mushy quads!
But summer travel stories are coming in...enjoy Tom & Louise at the Sheridan rodeo!
*************************************
 
In mid-July, Tom and I joined our daughter
and her boyfriend at the Sheridan, Wyoming rodeo. 

 
I have never done rodeo before so we enjoyed the whole nine yards: bed races down Main Street, the longest parade I've ever seen, two nights of rodeo and, as you can see from the pictures,
the Indian Races.
 
  Several plains tribes hold a Pow Wow and take part in these races. The prize money is $100K, the horses are thoroughbreds (and are very fractious) and the First Nations jockeys can be as young as 14 years old!  The race is a three horse relay, with the exchange coming in front of the grand stand. They ride bareback and must leap onto the horse unaided. 
 
 On more than one occasion the rider misses his leap
 and the horse takes off without him.
It is a genuine melee. 


 
 As you can see, the horses and riders are painted up
as if on a raiding party. 
 
 It was very exciting and the Sheridan Wyo Rodeo is worth seeing. 
We are enjoying our travels, but I am very eager to get back to Sandpipers and my Peeps. 
 
 Hugs to all, Louise

No comments: