Thursday, November 6, 2014

What did you do 30 -40 years ago?!

As I sit here watching cooking shows on TV on this rainy cool evening I am drinking copious amounts of wine and popping serious pain pills ( sorry, Melinda, I need them!)...'cause I was again carved upon by my dermatologist.
 
When you are diagnosed with skin cancer they say it started 30-40 years ago, but slather yourself with sun block cream now anyway.
 
Well just crap!
 
Remember lying in the sun basting yourself with baby oil,
perhaps laced with iodine?
 
When my Doc was stitching me up I talked about that.
Poor, YOUNG, girl...she had never heard of that!
And when she asked why we did that I told her we wanted to be brown and PRETTY!  Then I realized I was talking to a mocha skinned islander. 
Ironic, no?
 
So...I hurt, I have more stitches, and I am pissed at myself for lying in the sun all those years ago.
 
Tell your grandkids!!

1 comment:

Pam #122/229 said...

I am so sorry for your pain, Sue. A lesson can be learned not just for what we tell our grandchildren, but for how we conduct our own lives.

It is never too late to prevent further sun damage. No matter how old we are, we can learn from you that the consequences of lying out in the sun, no matter your age, can be extremely unpleasant and dangerous.

Sun screen is a must. Avoidance of the sun is an additional option. Don't take it from me. Don't take it from Sue. Ask a dermatologist.