Thursday, April 3, 2014

From Louise....

Giants in the Earth
 
Vikings thought that the huge granite boulders under the surface of the ground were calcified bones of giants, so Norwegians use the expression, "giants in the earth."  Yesterday I walked up one of these giants, the side of the largest exposed granite batholith in the Southern Hemisphere, Bald Rock, on the border of New South Wales and Queensland. 
 
 Here is the story by the numbers:
Hike to the summit 1.2Km;
 bare rock face to be climbed 260 meters (about 800 feet, or the height of an 80 story building);
 path down a more user-friendly path 2.5Km;
age of climbers 67;
success rate 100%!

Actually, the way back down took us across the rock face
and into a broken path that wound through
and under a jumble of balancing rocks. 
 
 Quite impressive. 
 
The lizards gave wings to my feet!
 
 The attached photos are me on the way up,
Tom at the top
 
 and me in one of the paths more interesting canyons.
 
Yes, we have lots of pictures of the lizards,
 but I refuse to show them.
 
Tom also took pictures of me at the top,
 but my makeup was no longer fresh.
 
 Miss you all and many hugs, L

No comments: