Saturday, November 9, 2013

But What Do I Know?

Karen & Jay have turned a nice RV park into a gorgeous destination resort.  It is just beautiful everywhere…OK maybe not the pot-holed roads near the front office, but everywhere else.  I am proud to live here.
However…
There are problems with water volleyball.  I’m sure they will be worked out eventually but here is some feedback:
A few players have had real trouble with the floor surface of the volleyball pool to the point of dripping blood from shredded toes onto the concrete.
Some can’t play at all because of the no-shoes rule, for a variety of reasons.
Some can’t play in the sun for extended periods due to skin cancer concerns.  My dermatologist is horrified over the “no skin protection shirts” rule.  I have had several chest and back cancers removed and don’t want any more…and those shirts are designed for water use, do not shed, and will not clog filters.  Yes, yes I know…nudist park.  But this is SOUTH TEXAS peeps and I am not stupid.
And League play…really? 
Where is the fun to get clobbered by a hand picked,  super strong team?
But what do I know?
And while I am on a rant.
Somewhere in this lovely park is a self appointed Gestapo type who is looking for rule infractions then scurrying, rat-like, to the office to tattle.  What’s up with that?
If suspicion, nervousness, unease and bitterness is the goal…well, you’ve succeeded!  Surely that isn’t necessary.
But what do I know?
We are a bunch of curmudgeons, getting older by the day, and sometimes find change hard to swallow.  But with time I believe we will all agree that most of the rules (not all) make sense and/or are out of management’s hands…vis a vie the trash situation and the Edinburg water restrictions.
All in all Sandpiper’s is a lovely place to live.
That I do know.


2 comments:

Ian & Terry said...

Made some papaya wine too, didn't you?!?!

Bob F. said...

For years those of us who wanted to play competitive water volleyball were forced to accept a certain number of players on our teams that were unable/unwilling to play competitive "real WVB". What fun was that for those of us wanting to play serious competition games?

In my opinion Karen's rules for League play are just fine, and don't prohibit anyone from playing regardless of skill level. If some people feel that they aren't up to playing "real WVB" they need to either upgrade their skills, seek a team of like-minded players or just be a good audience. Fact is League play is only a few hours a week, which leaves the WVB pools open over 95% of the time for the "Jungle-Ball" crowd.

Admittedly I'm only a mid-level player (definitely not an expert) but even so I've never been happy being stuck having to play all the time with ball-catchers, ball-bouncers or those unable/unwilling to play competitively. There are many others who feel the same, and we deserve what little time League play provides us for serious competition.

Bob