Thursday, September 24, 2009

Luby's...a Review.

"HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOU ATE AT LUBY'S?
Well, that's too long!

Last Sat., after our delicious lunch prepared by Tony and Sherry,
I was chatting with another club member about food (a frequent topic around here).
I mentioned that I love to eat at Luby's, and he/she said,
'Oh, I can't eat at those buffets.
I look at all that food, and I can't resist it.'
I said, 'Oh, Luby's is not a buffet--it's a cafeteria! You only buy and pay for what you want.'
'Oh, really, I didn't know that. I thought it was one of those buffets,
or 'buff-fets' as some around here have been known to say.'
So, I proceeded to fill him/her in on a a little bit of Texas business history.
Luby's was founded in 1947 in San Antonio by Bob Luby
who had just finished his service in World War II.

Luby's first cafeteria was in downtown San Antonio by the bus station.
Many people thought that it wouldn't succeed because of the location
(you know how most bus stations are) and because they didn't think that
returning GI's would want to stand in line for food again.
But, succeed it did! Luby's cafeterias are still found all over Texas
but also in several surrounding states as well.

Luby's is mainly a daytime eating place. I don't know when it closes, sometime after dinner. Whenever I go out shopping, etc. during the day by myself, I always end up eating at Luby's.
It's a place where you don't feel ill at ease eating by yourself. It's also moderate in cost as well.
And the food!
First, you come to the delicious salads;
the last time I ate there I had a green salad with nuts, goat cheese and a raspberry dressing.
Then, of course, come the entrees.
I hope this doesn't gross some of you out, but I often get grilled liver and onions.
That's because I don't cook them at home; Garland would eat out on the deck.
They always give you a big serving of that--is that because not as many people like it?
But the last time I was there I had grilled tilapia which was very tasty.
The veggies are great too.
I always get fried okra which is the only way I like it except for okra pickles.
Next, if you are dieting, you'll have to look away as you pass the desserts.
They looks SOOOOO good.
Then I end up with a whole wheat roll and butter.
So, if you haven't enjoyed the Texas tradition of Luby's, give it a try.
P.S. I don't have any Luby's stock. Maybe I should."
Patsy #108
**********
Patsy, that was a great review! I think you should be our restaurant critic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be a fantastic job, wouldn't it? Patsy (108)

alan said...

Patsy, you & Stevie can have a great feast on liver & onions while Garland & I feast on filet mignon - OK!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun, Alan. But who's going to cook the liver? I can't stand to touch it--I handle it with tongs.
Also, I like my liver in thin slices, not big thick slabs. Does Stevie like fried chicken livers, too? I love them.
This dates me, but when I was growing up, you couldn't buy chicken pieces, only the whole chicken which you cut up yourself. So there was just one liver. Me being an only child, my parents always let me have the liver. Anybody can get filet mignon anywhere, but liver and onions cooked to perfection is a rare treat.
Patsy #108