Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lunch & Creepy Crawlies....eeewwww!

What a great Lunch by the Pool today.
While Tony is out of the park Sherry has taken over kitchen duties,
and let me tell you...that girl can cook!
We had Chicken Quesadillas which were delicious,
with Pepper Jack cheese, and loads of fresh fruit.
Strawberries, bananas, melons, grapes...and a jello &
coconut concoction that was particularly yummy.
We volleyballers appreciated the lighter lunch.
We felt we could move afterward, and it even felt healthy!
The weekly lunches are proving very popular.
Today I'm guessing we had maybe 25 people enjoying Sherry's lunch.
*****
No creepy crawlies in the lunch, that's for sure, but in my garden this morning
I witnessed a real life and death struggle.
This is a Bold Jumper Spider, a Phidippus audex.
Very common.
Note the bright green fangs.
It is breakfasting on a stink bug. This struggle took many hours.
I'm guessing the spider is hanging on waiting for the paralyzing venom to take hold.
According to Internet info this spider disdains any prey that is smaller than at least half it's body size, and prefers big game.
Very bold spider. Further down the fence I found this one lurking.
Don't know what kind it is, don't care.
It's big, it's ferocious looking.
Keep away from me!
Most spiders are actually beneficial in the garden, eating bad bugs.
But I still am not crazy about them!
I found a neat chart with spider pictures and info about the poisonous ones.

Meanwhile the struggle continued...

I think the spider is drooling. Or the stink bug bleeding....

Possibly not great to combine Sherry's great lunch with bug death....but get over it.

5 comments:

SueP said...

Cool pics Suz. But remind me to have already eaten dinner when I next check your blog!

Anonymous said...

Sue, Your mystery spider is a Wolf Spider, shown on your ID panels on the right side on the second panel. They are very common and not harmful. In fact, most spiders are good guys, they feed on many bugs that we really don't like! I won't ask you if you have hugged a spider today.

Tom 428

SueZ said...

Thanks Tom, I knew some wise person would clue me into it's ID. Wolf Spider, hmmm. Non aggressive, but a toxic and painful bite. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Dear Spider Woman,
What patience you have to document and videotape this hours- long battle! Where did you get the spider poster? That would be nice to have since we have a lot of spiders around here.

Cheers to Sherry for the lunch on Sat.! It was different, refreshing, and very tasty. I love a lighter meal at lunch time.
Patsy 108

Anonymous said...

Dear Sue, et.al., Tom can say all the nice things he wants about spiders. I have found two huge wolf spiders in the motor home since leaving Texas and I've killed both of them. I'll leave them alone if they stay out of my home, but once they cross the threshold they are in my crosshairs. Just thought you'd like to hear what the distaff side of the Butler household thinks of our fangy friends. Best wishes to all, Louise