Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Our First Kangaroo

...was sighted on the island of Tasmania. 
Actually, they are wallabies--think of a kangaroo bred down to the size of a cocker spaniel.  They are as thick as jack rabbit around the little cabin we have for the week we are in Tasmania.  They come out at night, but we did see one on the golf course we played this morning. 


 Our 9 hour boat trip from Melbourne, Australia to Tasmania was great for Tom, but less so for me. 
I am no sailor and was horribly sea sick.
  My son-in-law says that I hold the record for the number of times anyone has thrown up on his boat (eight, if you are counting)but this trip wasn't quite as bad. I over-medicated myself and was able to sleep most of the time.  We booked a room on the boat for the trip over and back and I am so grateful we did.  The return trip is an over-nighter and we will really need it then, but I needed it yesterday. 
 
We got to our cabin on Tasmania before night fall and I had a hot meal, which actually helped.  Then there was also the comic relief of Tom turning on the windshield wipers every time he tried to activate the turning signal. They are reversed on the rental car and I got used to seeing the wipers and hearing the word, "Goddammit" every time we changed lanes or turned a corner. 

 I slept late this morning and we had a quieter day, playing a round of golf.  The green's fees were only $8 (!!!) because the course was in, "rough" shape.  I didn't realize that rough meant bird, rabbit and wallaby poop from one end to the other.  Only a strong man or a determined golfer picked up their ball after a roll across the green on this course! 


We have a kitchen, fridge, sink, dishes and microwave, but no stove or cooking material at our cottage.  That means we  bought cereal, juice, milk, and sandwich stuff, fruit and fresh veggies at the IGA. For supper tonight I also bought a rotisserie cooked chicken, some microwave rice and a bottle of wine.  So we had supper on the patio of the room. It was very nice, but the ducks flew right up on the patio to see if we were offering treats!  After they took one look at a plate of chicken bones they left in both a hurry and a huff. 


We are looking forward to touring Tasmania in bits and pieces starting tomorrow.  We are going to make the drive to the capital, Hobart, tomorrow, and touring closer and closer to, "home" as the days pass. 


 Love and hugs, Louise

No comments: